Thursday, October 4, 2012

Halloween Miniatures (From Headphones)




Pin It

Halloween isn't gonna catch me unprepared this year. I've got this vintage orange lamp shade to light my way through the haunting spirits. Yup, I just got the little lamp shade from the thrift store and my lamp collection is expanding beyond my current storage capacity. Oh, well, I don't even wanna stop. I am like the Brigitte Bardot of lamps! But let's get back to Halloween: I've got a copper bell to chase away vampires, a little black bunting and an old tobacco box filled with good spells. Oh, now I also have two skull miniatures.





It all started with my BF's brand new headphones. They came with an extra-pair of furry black covers. Of course, a guy could never stand furry stuff on his ears! I was just about to throw them away, when I noticed that their shape was like a thick, fluffy frame. And they were so black... I thought of designing miniature portraits to go with them. And since we are approaching Halloween, I drew skulls (such a no-brainer!)




Given my limited drawing skills and the smallness of the headphone frames, I kept the miniature portraits pretty simple, in black and white. Then I came up with the orange hair, because it's Halloween after all :) I love the little furry medallions, trapped in the spider web! They DO look a little Goth for my taste, but I pride myself in always trying new stuff and incorporating it into my own style.









Halloween miniature tutorial:
1.  Cut a little piece of paper (the size that fits inside the headphone covers) and draw your portrait using highcontrast strokes. The furry frame is huge compared to the drawing and it can overwhelm a light design.
2. Cut the backing of the headphone covers. You should be left with a clean furry oval.
3. Pimp-up the frame with some pretty lace, pom poms and feathers in assorted colors.
4. Insert the little portrait inside the frame and hang it on the wall. BOO y'all!






The spooky Halloween miniatures have been featured at Confetti Diaries, A Glimpse Inside and The DIY Dreamer. Thank you so much, Natalie, Allison and Christina, you really made my day!
The DIY Dreamer  featured button

36 comments:

  1. unbelivable! OMG, what an idea! looks great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny idea! I love this.. I'm thinking to them with a picture like "a nightmare before Christmas" by Tim Burton!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, great minds think alike! Before I drew the skull girls, I drew the Gas boy from Tim Burton's poetry book "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories" for both medallions! I love Tim Burton and I love his drawings and poetry. But three of my friends saw the drawings and shivered with disgust - that's why I switched to the skeleton girls instead. I should have been more brave and I should have published the drawings that were true to my heart. You would have liked that :)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you drew those freehand! I love them! Only you could see all that in a pair of fuzzy headphones! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni, the secret to freehand drawing is having a room mate who makes you draw almost every night! I am about to publish my first doodles in the next few days :)

      Delete
  4. How cool is that! I just love your style! Hugs
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jutta, the miniature skulls are a little weird, but I love them too!

      Delete
  5. Ha ha! I could never tell these are these are from headphones. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Tina - I always work with what I've got handy in the house :)

      Delete
  6. Coolest reuse I've seen in a long time!
    These I would like to have on the wall;)

    Have a nice weekend :)
    Janne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janne, not many people like them, thank you for the appreciation! If you want them on your wall, all you have to do is say so. I'd be happy to send them to you ;)

      Delete
  7. That is all sorts of clever!
    Also, I am laughing at the thought of a guy wearing furry headphones. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meream! You were right, my BF with the furry headphones is the most hilarious thing I've seen since I returned from the seaside :)))) Sorry for the late response, I just got back home from a wedding...

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya, I'm so happy that you liked the spooky Halloween miniatures! Sorry for the late response, I just got back home from a wedding...

      Delete
  9. I totally didn't expect this when I came over here... REALLY??? This is amazing You are my kind of crazy. Now excuse me, I have a new- found blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like the weird miniatures - most people don't get the idea and walk away :))

      Delete
  10. Love how you used those headphone covers!!
    I'm off to vote for you now!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, thank you so much for visiting and the kind words! Thank you so much for the vote on Apartment Therapy, your kind gesture means the world to me!

      Delete
  11. what you won't think up next! haha! Great idea, Meeha Meeha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kammy, thanks a million for making time to visit, I'm really happy that you like the "headphone art" :))

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for linking up to Tell me tuesday, im so excited for halloween.!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, thanks a million for making time to visit!

      Delete
  13. those are so fantastic!! your creativity amazes me! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andie, thanks a million for the support - people usually say these miniatures are too spooky :))

      Delete
  14. Not too spooky for me! {Did you see my severed finger Halloween party invite?} These are so fun & I can't believe they are made from headphones. Wow - some people are so brilliant! As you know, I am also a fan of your entry way, so I popped over & voted for you. Good luck! Thanks so much for sharing your project on Fabulous Friday at Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, my headphone miniatures are no match for your spooky invite! Thanks a million for your vote and your support, I am overwhelmed!

      Delete
  15. What a fun little thing! Your drawing skills are way better than mine. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Mondday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a way to re-use items. Those are great. Thanks so much for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for making time to visit the link-ups, Christy!

      Delete
  17. CONGRATS!! You have been featured at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!
    Come on over and grab your featured button... You deserve it!!
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/10/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-38.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. How spooky! These would look great in my hallway. I love your original art. I really like the idea of framing it with the headphone cover. Very creative. Thanks for sharing at our link party last week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...